This activity shall ensure that the System builds and installs without defects. During the System Testing, the Supplier is responsible for building and testing the system so that the Supplier can test the build and system installation procedures exhaustively.
Build the System
- This activity is not required for COTS as source for the system is not acquired. For projects that develop or enhance software, the Project Manager shall ensure that the Supplier-delivered system is in the CM repository and is used directly from the system release baseline.
- Supplier shall build the source as per the documented instructions for building or as per the build procedures. The Project Manager shall verify whether the build was successful with no error or warnings.
Install and Configure the System
- Supplier shall install the system in the Test environment. The Project Manager shall ensure that the System Installation Guide is consistent with the procedure of installation.
- Supplier shall configure the system to integrate the various components and, if necessary, with the external software and hardware as per the operational design and the system requirements.
- Project Manager shall ensure that the installation is conducted using the software and hardware that are specified in the System Installation Guide and conform to the IT Standards Bill of Material (BOM). The system(s) and the software components shall be installed afresh, if required, to make sure that they are configured as per specifications and the configuring of the system’s settings are repeatable and well documented.
Fix Defects and Issues
- If any defects or issues are identified during the build and installation, the Supplier shall fix the defects. The Project Manager shall ensure that the issues and risks identified are logged in the Project Log and Risk Management Plan. The Project Manager shall track the issues to closure. Refer to Project Monitoring and Control Process for details on tracking the issues in the Project Log.
Update Installation and System Documentation (SD)
- Supplier shall update the System Installation Guide and other system documentation for the defects that are identified during test execution and the fixes shall be verified, if needed, by building and installing the system again.
Verify Installation and System Documentation (SD)
- Project Manager shall verify the fixes to the System Installation Guide and other system documentation such that consistencies are maintained. The Project Manager shall verify that there are no open issues in the Project Log related to the system documentation.
Obtain Approval and Check In SD, System Installation Guide and Source Code (SC)
- Supplier shall obtain approval from the Project Manager to check in the system components, software and the system documentation into the software repository. The Project Manager shall ensure that all the defects and issues identified are resolved before giving the approval. The consistencies of work products should be checked and verified in order to maintain the integrity of the baseline.