The physical environment and resources required to perform committed work are identified in each unit.
- Work is analyzed to determine the type of physical environment and resources required to perform it.
- The physical environment and resources needed to perform assigned work are compared to those currently available within the unit to determine unit needs.
- A responsible individual(s) takes appropriate action to acquire workspace or resources needed to perform assigned work.
- If the physical environment or other resources needed cannot be obtained, a responsible individual(s) develops a contingency plan that articulates performance risks and coordinates its implementation with all affected parties.
The physical environment required to perform assigned work is provided.
- Adequate space is provided for performing assigned work.
- To the extent possible, the physical environment is designed and organized to support efficient performance of assigned work.
- To the extent possible, culturally important issues are considered when organizing the physical environment.
- Characteristics of the physical environment that are important for work performance are adjusted and, if necessary, monitored.
- When aspects of an adequate physical environment cannot be provided, a contingency action is implemented.
Individual workspaces provide an adequate personal environment for performing assigned work responsibilities.
- Protected private space where personal effects, work tools, and products can be secured and stored as necessary.
- Adequate desktop space for using tools and other resources in performing tasks and storing the work products produced.
- Adequate illumination for performing work.
- Sufficient isolation and noise protection to support the level of concentration needed to perform individual work.
- Sufficient space to perform work activities alone or with a limited number of colleagues, as appropriate.
The resources needed to accomplish committed work are made available in a timely manner.
- Adequate physical and technical resources are provided for performing committed work.
- Responsible individuals report work environment conditions that would degrade or endanger health or safety to individuals who can address them.
- Responsible individuals identify and implement reasonable accommodations to protect the health or safety of the workforce while corrections are being made.
- Responsible individuals monitor progress in correcting health or safety related conditions to ensure they are corrected in a timely manner.
Physical factors that degrade the effectiveness of the work environment are identified and addressed.
- Responsible individuals maintain awareness of the physical factors in the work environment that could degrade the performance of those exposed to these factors.
- Responsible individuals identify and take action to mitigate the effects of physical factors that could degrade the performance of individuals exposed to them.
- Responsible individuals monitor the performance of affected individuals to determine if additional actions need to be taken to mitigate the impact of physical factors.
- If it is determined that it is not possible to effectively eliminate the impact of a physical factor, alternative mitigation strategies and solutions are pursued.
Sources of frequent interruption or distraction that degrade the effectiveness of the work environment are identified and minimized.