In each unit, the critical skills required for performing each individual’s assigned tasks are identified.
- The tasks involved in performing each individual’s assigned work are identified.
- The critical skills needed by each individual to perform their assigned tasks are identified.
- Communication skills required to perform assigned tasks are identified and included among critical skills.
- The critical skills needed by an individual are updated each time there is a significant change in their assigned tasks.
Training needed in critical skills is identified for each individual.
- The knowledge and skills of each individual are evaluated against the critical skills needed to perform their assigned tasks to determine if training is needed.
- Prior to undertaking a new assignment, an individual’s knowledge and skills are assessed against the critical skills required for the new assignment to determine if training in these skills is needed.
- The critical skill needs of each individual in a unit are identified as the gap between the skills possessed by the individual and the critical skills needed to perform the tasks assigned to them.
- The types of training needed by each individual to develop the critical skills needed to perform assigned tasks are identified.
- If the critical skills required by assigned tasks change, an individual’s training needs are re-evaluated.
Each unit develops and maintains a plan for satisfying its training needs.
Individuals or groups receive timely training needed to perform their
- Training alternatives are evaluated to determine which provides the most effective mechanism for developing the required knowledge and skills.
- Training content is evaluated to ensure that it covers all the knowledge and skills needed by the individual or group to perform their assigned responsibilities.
- Training is scheduled to provide knowledge and skills for timely application in performing assigned tasks.
- Individuals and groups provide feedback on the quality and usefulness of the training they receive.
Training is tracked against the unit’s training plan.
- The unit’s training activities are routinely reviewed against its training plan.
- When training activities performed deviate significantly from the plan, corrective action is taken.
- Completion of training activities is documented for each individual.
A development discussion is held periodically with each individual.
- The knowledge and skills needed to enhance performance in current and future assignments are identified and discussed.
- Potential future assignments, career options, and other development interests
- Development activities to enhance knowledge and skills, and to prepare for
future assignments and career options, are identified.
- When training time can be allotted to support preparation for future assignments, career options, and other development interests, objectives for each individual’s development are established.
Relevant development opportunities are made available to support individuals in accomplishing their individual development objectives.
- Responsible individuals assist individuals in identifying development opportunities that would support their individual development objectives.
- When possible, relevant opportunities are sought for assigning work or exposing individuals to experiences that support their individual development objectives.
Individuals pursue development activities that support their
individual development objectives.
- Time to pursue development opportunities is coordinated with committed work and other relevant schedules.
- Development opportunities are accomplished according to identified objectives for each individual’s objectives.
- The accomplishment of development opportunities is tracked to ensure they are timely with respect to an individual’s development objectives.
- The impact and results of completed development activities are discussed to determine if adjustments to individual development objectives are needed.
- The results of development activities are documented and used as input to performance management, staffing, promotion, compensation, and other workforce activities as appropriate.