Each empowered workgroup has an individual(s) or organizational entity that is assigned responsibility as its sponsor and to whom it is accountable.
- The individual(s) or organizational entity that is assigned responsibility for an empowered workgroup assists it by clarifying its mission and responsibilities, providing organizational resources or ensuring those organizational resources are made available to the workgroup, reviewing its progress and performance, providing guidance, facilitating the empowered workgroup, when needed, and addressing problems it is unable to resolve internally.
- The individual(s) or organizational entity that is assigned responsibility for an empowered workgroup acts as its liaison to other organizational entities, when appropriate.
- The individual(s) or organizational entity that is assigned responsibility for an empowered workgroup represents the organization’s interests to the workgroup.
Adequate resources are provided for performing Empowered Workgroups activities.
- Workgroups have been established to optimize the performance of interdependent work.
- Competency-based processes exist that can be tailored to support empowered workgroups.
- Defined workforce practices exist that can be tailored to support their execution by empowered workgroups.
- Experienced individuals who have expertise are available for facilitating empowerment within workgroups.
- Experienced individuals who have expertise in tailoring workforce practices for use within empowered workgroups, and supporting empowered workgroups.
- Resources for supporting Empowered Workgroups activities are made available.
- Adequate funding is available to empower workgroups and to tailor and deploy the empowered workgroup-based practices that support them.
All affected parties develop the knowledge, skills, and process abilities needed to develop effective relationships with empowered workgroups.
- Those to whom empowered workgroups report receive the preparation needed to manage empowered workgroups.
- Other individuals or organizational entities that interact with empowered workgroups receive the preparation needed to coordinate their activities with empowered workgroups.
- Facilitation is provided to support managers or others who work with empowered workgroups, and assist empowered workgroups in taking responsibility for their work processes and selected workforce practices.
Individuals responsible for tailoring or administering workforce practices for empowered workgroups develop the knowledge, skills, and process abilities needed to perform their responsibilities.
- Individuals assigned responsibility for performing workforce practices for empowered workgroups receive the preparation needed for applying these practices in a manner consistent with the development and functioning of empowered workgroups.
- Individuals assigned responsibility for designing or tailoring workforce practices for application to empowered workgroups receive the preparation needed to perform their responsibilities.
- Individuals within empowered workgroups who participate in applying workforce practices within the workgroup receive the preparation needed for performing these practices.
The practices and procedures for performing Empowered Workgroups are defined and documented.
- Practices and procedures are defined and documented at the organizational or
unit levels, as appropriate.
- Guidelines for tailoring the practices and procedures for use in different circumstances are documented and made available, as necessary.
- The individual(s) assigned responsibility for coordinating Empowered Workgroups activities across the organization ensures that defined practices and procedures are maintained under version control, disseminated through appropriate media, interpreted appropriately for different situations, and updated through orderly methods.
- Experiences, lessons learned, measurement results, and improvement information derived from planning and performing Empowered Workgroups practices are captured to support the future use and improvement of the organization’s practices.