Within each unit, an individual(s) is assigned responsibility and authority for ensuring that members of the unit participate in Continuous Capability Improvement activities, as appropriate.
Within selected workforce competencies, responsible individual(s) coordinate activities to improve its competency-based processes.
Adequate resources are provided for continuously improving individual and workgroup capabilities.
- Experienced individuals who have expertise in capability improvement are available for coaching individuals and workgroups.
- Resources for supporting Continuous Capability Improvement activities are made available.
- The organization’s strategic workforce plan allocates a recommended amount of time for individuals to participate in continuous capability improvement activities.
- Each unit’s workforce planning allocates a portion of each individual’s time for participation in continuous capability improvement activities.
Mentoring support is offered to improve the capability and performance of individuals and workgroups.
- Improvement opportunities are evaluated to determine whether they justify the investment in mentoring.
- Opportunities to provide detailed coaching are prioritized based on factors such as the following value to unit or organizational performance objectives, the number of people available qualified to provide detailed coaching, the balance between performing work and coaching, and the value of raising staff capability in targeted areas.
- Mentoring relationships are established in those situations where the enhancement in performance will justify the investment in coaching support.
Individuals and workgroups develop the knowledge, skills, and process abilities needed to perform their responsibilities in applying techniques for continuously improving their capabilities.
The practices and procedures for performing Continuous Competency Improvement are defined and documented.
- Practices and procedures are defined and documented at the organizational or unit levels, as appropriate.
- Guidelines for tailoring the practices and procedures for use in different circumstances are documented and made available, as necessary.
- The individual(s) assigned responsibility for coordinating Continuous Competency Improvement activities across the organization ensures that defined practices and procedures are maintained under version control, disseminated through appropriate media, interpreted appropriately for different situations, and updated through orderly methods.
- Experiences, lessons learned, measurement results, and improvement information derived from planning and performing Continuous Capability Improvement practices are captured to support the future use and improvement of the organization’s practices.