The workforce competencies required to perform the organization’s business activities are identified.
- The business activities that implement the organization’s mission and strategy are identified.
- The workforce competencies the organization must develop and maintain to perform these business activities are identified.
Each of the organization’s workforce competencies is analyzed to identify the knowledge, skills, and process abilities that compose it.
- A plan is developed for analyzing workforce competencies that typically
includes, the competency analysis activities to be performed, the schedule for competency analysis activities, the individuals or groups responsible for competency analysis activities, the resources and effort required, including access to the staff, and the process for review and approval of the plan by all parties affected by competency analysis activities.
- A method is selected for performing workforce competency analyses.
- The organization defines the level for decomposing the knowledge, skills, and process abilities underlying each of its workforce competencies.
- The knowledge, skills, and process abilities required to perform committed work are defined for each workforce competency.
- Subject matter experts are involved in analyzing the knowledge, skills, and process abilities required to perform their committed work.
- A description of the knowledge, skills, and process abilities is defined for each workforce competency using a representation and format that is appropriate for its intended use.
- Descriptions of workforce competencies are used for guiding workforce practices at the organizational level and within units.
Workforce competency descriptions are documented and maintained according to a documented procedure.
- Workforce competency descriptions are documented and maintained to provide descriptions of the knowledge, skills, and process abilities underlying each workforce competency.
- Workforce competency descriptions are documented and maintained according to organization standards.
- Workforce competency descriptions are controlled and maintained under version control for use in supporting and performing workforce activities.
- Workforce competency descriptions are made available to the workforce for use in designing or tailoring workforce practices, performing workforce activities, or planning individual development opportunities.
Workforce competency descriptions are updated on a periodic and event-driven basis.
- Workforce competencies are periodically reanalyzed to determine if they continue to reflect the knowledge, skills, and process abilities necessary to perform the organization’s business activities.
- Changes in products, services, processes, or technology are analyzed as necessary to determine whether affected workforce competency descriptions need to be updated, new workforce competencies need to be defined, or obsolete workforce competencies need to be phased out.
- Action is taken to update, add, or phase out affected workforce competency descriptions based on the results of periodic or event-driven reanalysis.
- Organization standards for workforce competency descriptions are adjusted, as necessary.
- Changes to workforce competency descriptions are incorporated according to a documented procedure and organization standards.
- Changes to workforce competency descriptions are provided as input for developing strategic workforce plans and for planning workforce activities
The competency-based processes to be performed by capable individuals in each workforce competency are established and maintained.
- A capability is established for defining and maintaining the processes used within each workforce competency.
- Competency-based processes are documented and made available for guiding those developing or performing a workforce competency.
- Documented competency-based processes are updated on an event-driven basis to reflect, changes in business operations, products, or services, changes in other processes or development technologies, lessons learned from the performance of competency-based processes, or other process improvements.
Information about the use of competency-based processes is captured and made available.
- Information collected on the performance of competency-based processes is maintained in a repository for future use.
- Lessons learned are identified that improve competency-based processes for future use.
- Information regarding the use and performance of competency-based processes is made available.
Competency information regarding the capabilities of individuals in their workforce competencies is collected and maintained according to a documented procedure.
- This documented procedure typically specifies responsibilities for collecting and maintaining competency information, what competency information is collected and maintained in the organization’s workforce competency information repository, how competency information is used, how competency information is represented and presented, how confidentiality is established and maintained for competency information, what competency information is made available, if any, who may have access to competency information and under what circumstances, how competency information is controlled and updated, how the completeness and accuracy of competency information is
audited, restrictions on the use of competency information, and mechanisms by which individuals can review and correct their competency information.