Migration involves the final set of activities to move the new system into production. This may involve moving the new system installed in the Pre-Production Environment into the Production Environment or making available the new system already installed in the Production Environment.
- Site Deployment Manager shall ensure that the existing system and its data are backed up before the migration to new system. The backup should be taken carefully to ensure it could be restored in case the migration is not successful.
- The Site Deployment Manager shall discuss and ensure that the Migration Team understands the roles and responsibilities within the team and shall execute the migration as per the steps and sequence provided in the Site Cutover Plan.
Perform Checks to Verify Migration
- Site Deployment Manager shall perform tasks related to final installation of the new system for production usage.
- The Site Deployment Manager shall run tests to verify the operational readiness of the installed hardware and software components in preparation for using the new system for production.
Typical checks performed to verify a successful migration are listed below and shall be performed by Site Deployment Manager:
- Verify the network communication for the installed component(s).
- Verify the installed and configured security access for the new system.
- Verify if system monitoring is included in the list of health checks of the system to verify if the new system is responding.
- Check the new system’s log for diagnostics messages, errors or warnings.
- Run some System Test Cases to check if the performed data conversions and loads are functioning as per the site’s requirements.
Site Deployment Manager shall update the Site Deployment Plan
and other plans with the progress made and with test results.
Check Contingency Plan for Alternative(s)
- If the system failed to perform as planned during the verification checks, the Site Deployment Manager shall check for alternatives or workaround(s) as documented in the contingency plan section of the Site Backout Plan.
- The Site Deployment Manager and the Site Lead shall discuss, plan, and execute the steps for alternate procedure(s) or workaround(s).
Modify System Environment/Components
- Site Deployment Manager shall coordinate and get the system environment or the system component modified, as needed by the alternate procedure.
- The Site Lead shall execute and support the migration and usage of alternate procedure. The checks shall be performed again to verify the migration.
Execute Backout Plan
- If the system failed to perform as planned, which would mean an unsuccessful system migration, then the system’s Backout Plan shall be executed at the site.
- After assessing the results from the verification of the migration, the Site Deployment Manager shall notify key management and operational personnel about the decision to back out the new system and revert to the old system. The data may need to be reloaded and/or unloaded to restore the old system environment.
- The Site Deployment Manager shall analyze the causes for failure and take necessary actions to resolve the issues identified.
- The Site Deployment Manager shall get approval from Senior Manager, Site Manager, System Owner and System Deployment Manager before re-executing the migration.
Communicate to Stakeholders
- If the system migration to the Production Environment is successful, the Site Deployment Manager shall report on the system migration status for the site to the System Deployment Manager, Site Manager and the System Owner.
Communicate Deployment Status
- The System Deployment Manager shall communicate the status of deployment of the system at the identified site(s). The communication shall be sent to Deployment Team, Business Project Champion, System Owner, Senior Manager, Operations Team, Site Deployment Manager(s) and Site Manager(s)
- The system deployment shall be considered complete only when the system is deployed at all the identified sites.