The organization defines graduated career opportunities to support growth in the workforce competencies required to perform its business activities.
- The organization specifies the purposes to be achieved through establishing sets of graduated career opportunities.
- Graduated career opportunities are designed to support business strategies or needs.
- Several choices of graduated career opportunities are made available for career planning.
- Criteria for advancing through graduated career opportunities are documented and communicated to the workforce.
Career promotions are made in each area of graduated career opportunities based on documented criteria and procedures.
Graduated career opportunities and promotion criteria are periodically reviewed and updated.
- Graduated career opportunities and their associated promotion criteria are periodically reviewed to ensure they are aligned with the definition of workforce competencies, the business strategy of the organization, and other relevant considerations.
- Additions, deletions, or changes in workforce competencies are analyzed as necessary to determine whether affected graduated career opportunities and promotion criteria should be updated, new graduated career opportunities and promotion criteria should be defined, or obsolete career opportunities should be phased out or eliminated.
- Action is taken to update, add, or phase out graduated career opportunities or promotion criteria based on the results of periodic or event-driven reanalysis.
- Changes to graduated career opportunities are implemented and maintained under version control.
- Changes in graduated career opportunities or promotion criteria are communicated to the workforce.
Affected individuals periodically evaluate their capabilities in the workforce competencies relevant to their career objectives.
- Opportunities are available to individuals for determining their capabilities in relevant workforce competencies.
- In some instances, the organization may require an evaluation of an individual’s competencies for promotion or assignment to specific positions.
- Evaluations of an individual’s capabilities on relevant workforce competencies are used as input for creating personal development plans and identifying relevant career options.
- Individuals are made aware of any competency information that will be entered into promotion or staffing decisions.
Affected individuals create and maintain a personal development plan to guide their training and career options.
- The personal development plan is created jointly between an individual and the person responsible for their career guidance.
- Career development objectives are based on the graduated career opportunities defined for the organization.
- The personal development plan identifies training and other development activities needed to accomplish the career objectives of the individual.
- Opportunities for personal development are identified and encouraged.
- The personal development plan is updated periodically as changes occur in the individual’s career objectives, the organization’s business strategy or activities, the definition of the organization’s workforce competencies, the knowledge, skills, and process abilities needed for potential future
assignments, or the career options available.
- The personal development plan for some individuals may be based, in part, on succession planning objectives identified in succession planning activities.
Career options and development in the organization’s workforce
competencies are discussed with affected individuals on a periodic or event-driven basis.
- Affected individuals are made aware of the organization’s graduated career development opportunities and relevant aspects of the organization’s strategic workforce plan and associated competency development plans.
- Affected individuals are counseled on how to prepare for the opportunities they wish to pursue.
- Affected individuals periodically discuss career opportunities with those responsible for providing them with career advice.
- Those responsible for Career Development activities continually identify opportunities to increase the workforce competencies and other knowledge, skills, or other process abilities relevant to the career objectives of the individuals they advise.
- Progress against personal development plans and the impact and results of development activities are discussed with affected individuals.
- Alignment of personal development plans with the organizations strategic
workforce plans and competency development plans are discussed with affected individuals.
Affected individuals pursue training and development opportunities that enhance their career options and capabilities in the organization’s workforce competencies.
- Affected individuals are encouraged to accept responsibility for developing their capabilities and careers. They should take an active role in accomplishing the objectives set in their personal development plans, identifying opportunities for development experiences, and pursuing external activities or training that enhances their knowledge,
skills, and process abilities.
- Development opportunities are performed as planned in personal development plans.
- Assignments outside of normal work responsibilities that support an affected individual’s development needs are provided, as appropriate.
Individual development activities are tracked against personal development plans.
- Those responsible for career discussions periodically review individual performance against personal development plans with each individual.
- Progress against the personal development plan is discussed during periodic performance management, development, or career discussion sessions.
- The impact and results of development opportunities completed are discussed
to see if adjustments to individual development objectives need to be made.
- When progress deviates significantly from the personal development plan, potential corrective actions are evaluated.
- Individuals ensure that organizational competency records concerning their knowledge, skills, and process abilities are updated whenever they have completed significant development events or experiences.