Within each unit, an individual(s) is assigned responsibility and authority for ensuring that members of the unit participate, as appropriate, in Career Development activities.
A responsible individual(s) coordinates the Career Development activities for each workforce competency.
Adequate resources are provided for implementing Career Development activities.
- When feasible, experienced individual(s) with expertise in supporting Career Development activities are made available.
- Resources for supporting Career Development activities are made available.
- Support for implementing Career Development activities is made available.
- Funding to accomplish Career Development activities is made available.
- Adequate time is made available for participating in Career Development activities.
Individuals responsible for Career Development activities develop the knowledge, skills, and process abilities needed to perform their responsibilities.
- Those responsible for designing graduated career opportunities, developing promotion criteria, or performing career assessments have received the
professional training necessary to perform their responsibilities.
- Those responsible for Career Development activities within a unit have appropriate training in the organization’s graduated career opportunities in
competencies relevant to the unit’s workforce.
- Those responsible for providing career advice receive preparation in assessing career interests and capabilities, providing career guidance, interpreting career guidance provided from other sources, and interviewing, listening, and advising skills.
Individuals who participate in Career Development activities receive appropriate orientation in career development opportunities and activities.
The practices and procedures for performing Career Development are defined and documented.
- Practices and procedures are defined and documented at the organizational or unit levels, as appropriate.
- Guidelines for tailoring the practices and procedures for use in different circumstances are documented and made available, as necessary.
- The individual(s) assigned responsibility for Career Development activities across the organization ensures that defined practices and procedures are maintained under version control, disseminated through appropriate media, interpreted appropriately for different situations, and updated through orderly methods.
- Experiences, lessons learned, measurement results, and improvement information derived from planning and performing Career Development practices are captured to support the future use and improvement of the organization’s practices.